Tuesday, July 1, 2008

How to Pick the Right Running Shoes

While I disagree with Rip’s tactics in getting me to contribute more to this program’s summer reading, I do concur that more stimulus is needed. I would also like to publicly thank Rip for his encouraging words about my future law aspirations. Before beginning where I left off, I would just like to take this opportunity to apologize for my rudely extended absence from the Boomland blog. While I may not have been showing my love for the team, program, or sport in an online media form, I will assure you that all three were never far from my heart. Now on with the show...


Summer is in full swing which has always meant training time for me. To me, there is no better way to stay in shape than just running. To make sure that look great in short shorts when the indoor workouts start again, I like to get a good base in the summer so my quads really pop under the nylon clothing that pretends to cover them. One thing that can hamper even the most ambitious runner, though, is ill-fitting shoes or improperly determined shoes. Before we get started, let me just mention that I used to work at a running store so I am a credible source for this stuff.


When looking for the proper pair of running shoes my first suggestion is go to an actual running specialty store. At most of these stores they will assess your gait (stride) and foot strike to determine if you need a stability or neutral running shoe. Most specialty stores have higher prices that say a Dick’s or Sports Authority. Because of this I would go the a specialty store to get the name of the correct fitting shoes and then go to Dick’s and buy it cheaper. Better yet, go to Eastbay or Zappos and buy an older model of the same shoe. You will already know what shoe and what size to get from the running store so you basically have nothing to lose.


For those of you who don’t want to look like a rookie when you walk into a running store here are a few things to think about. When the sales person is fitting you for a shoe, forget about the color and style of the shoe (fits matters way more). In addition, don’t focus on specifically one brand because there are a lot of good running shoe brands that fit certain type of feet better than others. If they don’t have the shoe you like in your correct size don’t buy one that is too small or too big. If shoes are too big you will get blisters, if they are too small you will get black toenails.


While being analyzed you will be told if you are either a neutral runner, pronator, or supinator. A neutral runner is one who has even wear on the soles of his current shoes. This means that his foot strikes the ground on a flat plane. A person who pronates rolls his foot to the outside. This roll will cause irregular wear on the outsides of shoes. On the other extreme, a supinator rolls his foot to the inside causing wear on the inside of the sole. Supination is certainly less common than a neutral foot strike or pronating. Lastly, running shoes should be replaced either every 3-5 months or 300-500 miles, depending on the frequency and intensity of the running being done in them.


If you have any other questions about running or running shoes send me an email. I can also give you recommendations on stores near you and shoes for different foot types.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try proofreading. I hope your law school applications don't contain this many errors.

Well, at least you're trying...

Unknown said...

mclain,

love the post. is it a bad idea to just get some of the nike sparq's that are onsale on eastbay right now, if i don't know my foot-type or whatever?

if not, where's a running store in stl? any idea?

denis.

McLain said...

Denis,

I would say just go to a running store and check out what they have to say. If anything, a lot of salespeople are college runners and a lot are women so you could end up with a phone number if not shoes.

Here are a few websites with some locations near STL:

Fleet Feet (http://www.fleetfeetstl.com/)

Runner’s World (http://www.runnersworld.com/shoe/retailer/1,,s6-240-417-0-0-0-0-0-0,00.html)

Big River Running Company (http://www.bigriverrunning.com/)

http://yp.yahoo.com/yp/St._Louis_MO/Retail_Shopping_Apparel_Footwear_All_Other_Shoe_Stores/8120598.html

Hope this helps man.

Unknown said...

thanks dog.

wv: yxudoaq.

Anonymous said...

How to Pick the Right Size 15 Running Shoes

Go to every store that sells running shoes in your area. ONE will sell ONE pair of size 15 running shoes. Enjoy hundreds of miles of running in them

-joe

McLain said...

joe,

if you go to a dick pond i know they wont have a problem sending every size 15 to the closest store to you. then you can just try them all on. you should have like 7 or 8 choices ten.

Jasmyn said...

Thanks for your suggestions.!! Its a challenging to pick the right running shoes. These tips are really very useful.